SunSmart training module for nurses
The training module is aimed at supporting your practice in the early detection and prevention of skin cancer.
Called Skin Cancer Prevention and Early Detection it includes the recommended steps nurses can take if a patient expresses concern and/or you are concerned about a suspicious skin lesion.
The module takes about 45 minutes to complete and comprises:
- Information on the current burden of skin cancer in New Zealand (slide 3 to 8)
- Understanding UV radiation (slide 9 to 16)
- Best practice steps for sun protection (slip, slop, slap and wrap) (slide 17 to 28)
- Ensuring sufficient vitamin D (slide 29 to 34)
- Early detection of skin cancer (slide 35 to 45) – includes what nurses need to do re. assessment, referral, documentation and follow-up.
- Types of skin cancer (identification) (slide 46 to 49)
The Nursing Council advises that the slide show can be counted as professional development hours. You just need to record it, write a bit on your learning and have a senior nurse or a colleague who participated with you, confirm your participation.