This privacy notice explains how the Cancer Society of New Zealand collects, stores, uses and shares your personal information, whether or not it is collected via this website.
We may update this privacy notice from time to time, for example, to reflect changes to the Privacy Act, so feel free to check in again occasionally to see what might have changed.
This first section of this privacy notice sets out the information that applies to everyone we interact with.
Later sections of this notice set out matters that are specific to different categories of people we interact with (clients, donors, volunteers, visitors to our website, visitors to other websites, suppliers and other companies, respondents to surveys, polls and petitions and people who attend our events and talks).
We only collect personal information where this is necessary to carry out our functions. You do not have to provide your personal information to us. However, we may not be able to effectively provide you with services or carry out our functions if you do not provide us with the information we need.
We may collect personal information about you either directly from you or from third parties such as contractors, service providers and suppliers who are acting for or on behalf of us, in accordance with the Privacy Act and Health Information Privacy Code 2020.
We may generate additional personal information about you when we carry out our functions e.g. we may note a phone call with you in our systems.
Use and retention of information
We will only use and share your personal information for the purposes it was collected or generated, or directly related purposes. This may include to:
- provide you with services and products;
- seek and receive donations from you;
- engage you as a volunteer;
- engage with you at our community events;
- respond to communications from you, including feedback or opinions;
- process your application for employment with us;
- invoice you and collect money that you owe us;
- undertake research or statistical analysis (on an anonymised basis);
- comply with health and safety policies (when you visit our premises);
- use it for any other purpose authorised by you; and
- use it for our own internal business purposes including record keeping, reporting and improving/enhancing our services, activities and systems.
We will keep your personal information for as long as we need it for these purposes, or to meet other legal requirements.
Access to personal information and correction
You can ask us for access to, or correction of your personal information at any time.
Please notify us of any changes to your personal information as soon as possible so we can ensure your personal information is accurate and current.
Contact our Privacy Officer:
- email: email@example.com
- phone: 04 918 8800
- post: Cancer Society of New Zealand, PO Box 651, Wellington 6140.
Sharing your information
We share personal information when it is necessary or desirable to do so, such as with our contractors and information system technology vendors.
Visitors to this website
You may browse and access information contained within this website without providing personal information.
Google Analytics and cookies
We collect statistical information about your visit to our websites to help us improve it via third party tools such as Google Analytics.
Through those tools, we may collect the following:
- your IP address
- search terms you used
- pages you accessed on the website and the links you clicked on
- date and time you visited the website
- referring website (if any) through which you clicked through to our website
- your operating system (e.g. Windows XP, Mac OSX)
- type of web browser you use (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox)
- other incidental matters such as screen resolution and the language setting of your browser.
No effort is made by us to identify individual visitors.
You may opt-out from having Google Analytics collect your information by disabling cookies in your browser, or by installing the Google Analytics Opt-out browser add-on.
We will use the information collected via these analytics tools to:
- understand how our website is being used;
- gain insights about how we can improve the functionality and user experience of our website; and
- understand browsing behaviour to give you a better experience whilst visiting our sites.
Suppliers and other companies we engage with
We collect the personal information of the employees of a business or organisation and its subcontractors during our day-to-day business interactions. This includes name, contact details, role any other personal information disclosed during the relationship, and may on occasion include professional details such as work history and qualifications.
We use it to maintain a business-to-business relationship and obtain the benefit of our business agreement or arrangement.
Respondents to surveys, polls and petitions
From time-to-time we conduct surveys, undertake polls and run petition campaigns. At the time we issue the survey, poll or petition we provide collection privacy notices that provide more detail about what we collect, how we use, share and store your personal information.
People who attend our events, including public talks
We collect personal information about attendees of our events and talks to communicate with and update the attendees on the event, maintain a record of who attended and for the health and safety purposes.
(04) 494 7270
Ranchhod Tower, Level 6, 39 The Terrace, Wellington, 6140
PO Box 651, Wellington 6140